I woke up this morning and found a very pleasant surprise! I got nominated for the Liebster Award, thanks to the author of Pensive Digression!! 😀 I’ve seen this award before on other blogs and I think it’s a really thoughtful chain post for bloggers to further connect with each other! Even though there isn’t really an award or judges, but the name of the Award, ‘Liebster’ meaning ‘dearest’ in German makes me smile 🙂
Here are the rules for the Award:
The Liebster Award is awarded to bloggers with under 200 followers to try to promote their blog a little and also bring together a community of bloggers. The rules of the competition are as follows:
- The nominated user must provide a link bank to the person who nominated them.
- Provide 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer 11 questions set by the person who nominated you.
- Choose 11 more people and ask them 11 questions
Facts about myself:
1. I’m a stay-home kind of person. Even though I enjoy going out with my friends and my family, I wouldn’t mind staying home for two, three days. (that is, if there’s food at home, haha)
2. I am super slow when I do stuff. It takes me forever to choose an outfit, make an order or even a simple yes or no question (sometimes, not always :P) I tend to just let others decide if it’s not something major. I have had dreams of everyone waiting for me to pack my suitcase, or I’m trying to pick a dress while the store is about to close. Those dreams are especially stressful and I think they reflect the pressure I feel when I know others are waiting for me. Gotta work on being more efficient 😉
3. When I was in elementary school, I used to think i’m one of the prettiest girls in class 😛 But after I went to middle school and later in high school, I had such a low self-esteem that I thought no guy would ever really like me because I was so ugly and unattractive. I was even convinced that I would probably marry someone whom I don’t love or is super bad looking. However, God is so good that He brought the love of my life, ( ❤ !!) Raul, into my life and he really rebuilt my confidence by telling me almost everyday that I’m beautiful and calls me ‘Beautiful’ :’) I remember when we first started dating, we even fought because I was so uncomfortable with him telling me I’m pretty. My brain just couldn’t take it that I could actually be beautiful in a man’s eyes. Cray isn’t it? (this is such a long fact, lol)
4. My life completely changed when I met Jesus. I used to be a very depressing, insecure, and angry person who lives in fear everyday. I had no idea I was living in such a dark and hopeless life. I had suicidal thoughts and it felt like everyone else on this earth is living a better life than mine even if they were poor, cheated or miserable. But when I made Jesus my Lord and Savior, He started to transform me and heal all wounds. I’m not going to lie and say that it was magical and it happened immediately. It took time and many times I wouldn’t let go of my sinful past, but He always gently pulls me back to His presence and shines His light into my life. I can truly and honestly say, I cannot live a day without Jesus 🙂
5. If I had to use one adjective to describe myself, it would be ‘gentle’. I checked with my mom and Raul, and they both think this adjective suits me well. But more than ‘gentle’, I want to be ‘loving’, ‘caring’ and ‘humble’. I want to bear all the fruits of the Holy Spirit in my life, which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians: 22-23) I know God still has a lot to work on me, but I am becoming better and better each day!
6. My bible verses of the year 2014 is : Romans 8: 28
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” This Bible verse reminds me that whatever comes my way, whether it seems bad, unfair or devastating, God makes them all work for MY GOOD because we love Him and He loved us first.
7. I’m about to be officially engaged in 21 days and married in 286 days, Yey!! We’re having the wedding in El Salvador, and then later in Taiwan 🙂 I feel so blessed to be married to the most loving man and having two wedding celebrations 😀
8. I’m now pursuing a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) masters degree in NYC. I never really wanted to be a teacher when I was young, but after I start tutoring and seriously considering what I should do for a living, I realized teaching is perfect for me! I love language, I love helping people, I like other people listening to me on stage :D, I like waking up early and I think correcting homework and giving tests are fun!
9. It’s been five years since I lived with my parents, and because I’m going back to school here in New York, I moved back with them four months ago. It was very tough at the beginning to be a kid all over again and deprived of freedom. Parents have a lot of expectations on me and so did I on them. Thankfully, my parents were willing to hear me out and after a few adjustments and family talks, we’re doing pretty well now 🙂
10. I have to wash my hair every single day! It’s a bit annoying because if I don’t, the next day it’ll look kind of greasy and I strongly dislike it. Even though Raul tells me I still look good with greasy hair, and he tries to talk me out of washing my hair every day, I still insist on washing my hair everyday, especially if I’m going out.
11. I used to hate my younger sister soooo much! Yes, I was one of those jealous and mean older sibling, haha But it was interesting how my sister always adored and loved me even during the days when I was the most horrible sister ever. I would secretly use her toothbrush to clean the toilet, gather my own dandruff and dump them on her (yewww…. I can’t believe I did that) Thank God again, we reconciled, or more like, I started loving her back after I met Jesus. Now, I love her so much! She’s my little sunshine and we are super close.
I feel like I could write a post for each fact about myself! Tell me which fact you’re most interested and my next next post will be on that 😉
To answer the 11 Questions:
1. What’s it like where you grew up/ now live? 2. What was School like for you?
I decided to combine these two questions 🙂 Hmm… this is a complicated question for me. Sigh, I always have to spend a lot of time explaining to people where I grew up. I was born in Maryland, USA and lived them until I was 5 years old, my parents moved back to Taiwan (a beautiful island in the Pacific Ocean, South to Japan) for two years, and then we came back to the States again when I was 7. By the time I finished second grade, we moved back to Taiwan again. It doesn’t matter if you’re kind of lost by now, even my love has trouble understanding the process… I’ll just keep going…
so, when I was 11, my family moved to Brussels. It was the hardest days of my life. I didn’t speak a word in French and I had a very hard time in school and making friends. It was during this time when my character completely changed. I used to be very outgoing and expressive, but after those years, I became very timid, low in confidence and insure. My parents saw how bad i was doing in school, so they transferred me to an international School. I didn’t fit with the typical Asian or American, instead I was with a group of ‘nerds’ from France, Belgium, Turkey and India. I didn’t like to go to school and was constantly sick.
To wrap things up, I decided to go back to Taiwan for High school and it was another huge challenge for me to learn how to write in Chinese and trying to fit in when I was clearly different. I would say school was definitely tougher for me than the average kids. Next time when you’re envying others who have lived their lives in many countries, just know that there are many hardships that accompanies the glamorous appearance.
3.What is your favourite media? Favourite book/film/video game etc?
I don’t really have any favorites… So say the truth, I don’t watch a lot of movies or films and I don’t play video games. I read less fictions or novels. I tend to read tool books and non-fiction, such as ” How to maximize your time”, “The Biography of Winston Churchill”, and “Anne Frank”. I find true stories more fascinating than stories that are made up by an author sitting in front of a computer. That’s why I like reading other’s blogs too, they give me insights and inspirations from others’ real life stories. And the most important of all, the Bible! and Yes everyone, every word in the Bible is true. 🙂
4. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I’ve felt the Holy Spirit kept encouraging me to write. I want to share my stories to everyone who is struggling with what I once struggled with: fear, anxiety, insecurity, depression, suicidal thoughts and a hopeless life. I want to let everyone who reads my blog know that there is a way, a hope, a truth, and that is Jesus.
5. What are you afraid of?
Some time ago, Raul asked me the same question, “What are you afraid of?” It took me several minutes to think about that question. I used to be afraid of a lot of things. In fact, “that’s so scary” used to be a phrase always on my lips. I was afraid of speaking to strangers, afraid of going to places I don’t know, afraid that no one loves me, afraid of even my own veins. Now I fear no more of the things I listed above and it was definitely a pleasant surprise when I realized that! The only thing that I’m really disgusted by right now is cockroaches… I wonder why God created them… ><
6. Who is your hero/inspiration?
On earth, I would definitely say that my love, Raul, is my hero! He always knows how to make me smile, happy and very secure. A lot of people inspire me, especially humble servants of God who love and serve God for their entire life.
7. What is your favourite quote?
There are many Bible verses that God has given to me at different stages of my life to carry me through the tough times. The one that encouraged me a lot during my long distance relationship with Raul is Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
8. What dreams do you have for the future?
I have a lot of dreams! I want to write a book, make my own CDs, spread the gospel, make disciples, heal the sick, set the captives free, cast out demons… basically everything Jesus did and tells us to do 😀
9. Have you got any special talents? If you don’t think so then what would you like to be good at?
Everyone has a special talent! It isn’t something you’re better doing at when you compare yourself to others. Talent is something you’re good at doing and you enjoy doing more than other things you do 😀
I have a talent of making music! I’m not a professional and I haven’t even really recorded a song before, but I enjoy making songs and singing to the Lord with my little Ukulele. The times that I’ve sung to the Lord alone in my room are the times I’ve felt the closest to Heaven!
10. What is your biggest weakness?
Sometimes, I can be very lazy and I just don’t want to do ANYTHING, and then later I feel HORRIBLE. Lol There was a season during which I would open the Bible and all I read are verses like “Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless go hungry.”
Okay God, I get it… no more laziness…
11. Name something you like that everyone else hates and why you think this is.
Hmm… this is a good questions, I’m not sure. I guess one thing is I like to spend time with my grandparents and old people in general. I know some people think old people are slow and boring, but I actually enjoy being with them. (maybe because I’m slow too? Lol)
Yey!! Finally done with the questions! I accidentally deleted my first version and I almost cried and wanted to give up, because I thought it was sooo good! But I still stuck with it and wrote my second version… Anyway, here are my questions:
- What is the nicest or sweetest thing you ever did for someone else?
- Tell us the funniest thing that has ever happened to you or around you 😀
- What do you think is the fun part and the worst part of blogging?
- When was the last time you cried, why?
- If you could turn back time, what would you change?
- Have you ever heard of Jesus? Who is he to you?
- If you could have any kind of super power, what would it be and why?
- What kind of person do you picture yourself to be in ten years?
- What does success look like for your blog?
- What does love mean to you?
- What are some lies in your life that you know is not true but you still believe it?
I hope everyone has as much fun as I did answering and asking questions!
Here are the 11 nominations:
So you want to be a teacher, Stop walking dead, Tell me who you are, whirlingdervishgirl, Serious Attempts Of a Desinvolte, Toadliquor, Hopping Home Backwards, Sebrena Stolze is here, In The Midst of Just Another Life, blueneely, and Why I’ll Be Single Forever.
Enjoy life and keep loving !! 😉